Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes, or “TLC” as we call it, is a successful, proven, and functional application of an emerging healthcare discipline known as Lifestyle Medicine. We believe that health is determined not by the absence of disease, but by the presence of sufficient energy and that low energy production actually causes aging and disease, not the reverse.
A large component of the information that TLC provides is the understanding that health, aging, and disease are all linked to cellular energy production. Maintaining and optimizing cellular energy production assists each cell with survival, repair, job functions and responsibilities, reproduction, waste elimination, etc. Everything is 100% linked to cellular energy production. There is not a single function that your body does that is not completely energy dependent. The body will die in minutes if cellular energy production stops. When each cell has sufficient energy to properly and efficiently do what it has to do to thrive, not just survive, then, as a whole, the body will be well. Health is not the absence of disease, but the presence of sufficient energy. Low energy production causes aging and disease, not the reverse. We also believe that:
- The body is a unit.
- Structure and function are reciprocally inter-related.
- The body possesses self-regulatory mechanisms.
- The body has the inherent capacity to defend and repair itself.
- When the normal adaptability is disrupted, or when environmental changes overcome the body’s capacity for self maintenance, disease may ensue.
- Environment determines organism, therefore the biological terrain is of critical importance.
We also focus on some fundamental basics that the human body requires such as:
- Food (Real Food)
Our Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes program comprehensively addresses the key four overarching topics of:
- Nutritional Support
- Stress Management
1. TLC Diet:
TLC uses a low-glycemic-load diet that is consistent with current research. New research has shown that low-glycemic diets are more effective than low-fat diets in treating obesity, insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, cardiovascular disease, and type 2 diabetes. Our clients report less hunger, more energy, and higher adherence with TLC, than with other commonly recommended low-fat diets. With our coaching you will understand:
- Calories, true caloric requirements and portion sizes
- Daily water needs
- How to eat healthfully in modern America with fast foods and restaurants
- Ideal food choices and recipes
- Insulin resistance and metabolic syndrome
- The diet/insulin/leptin connection
- The glycemic index of foods
- Understanding metabolism – what it is and how it works
- Understanding the 3 macronutrients – fat, protein, and carbohydrates
- And much more…
2. TLC Exercise:
A critical component in today’s world is exercise. Most people today are sedentary and as a result they have poor muscular strength; weak bones, tendons, and ligaments; poor blood circulation; reduced ability to cope with stress; and are much more prone to disease, injury, and disability. Some exercise components we address are:
- Advanced exercise strategies & techniques according to needs, goals and desires
- Aerobic exercise
- Exercising too hard
- How much exercise is enough?
- Strength training
- Target heart rates
- Therapeutic, rehabilitative, and preventive exercises and stretches
- And much more…
3. TLC Nutritional Support:
Supplementation may also be addressed to assist the unique nutritional needs you have along with specific health problems. Supplements can provide targeted nutritional support for specific functions, such as supporting insulin sensitivity, managing blood lipids, slowing glucose uptake, improving cellular energy production, etc. Their appropriate use can improve program adherence, enhance program effectiveness, and shorten the time it takes to achieve risk reduction goals. Regarding nutritional support we address such nutrition categories such as:
- Bone health and osteoporosis
- Cardiovascular health
- Fundamental nutrition
- Hormone imbalances
- Insulin and glucose management
- Joint health and inflammation
- Stress management
- And much more…
4. TLC Stress Management:
In today’s world people are too stressed and are experiencing “burn out”. People today often feel “run down”. Depression, anxiety, mood control difficulty, sleep disturbances, hormone imbalances, etc. are becoming normal everyday conditions. TLC helps you to gain control of your mind and your body and learn ways to reduce or eliminate stress. Some of the stress reducing approaches includes:
- Developing leisure activities
- Guided imagery
- Managing time efficiently
- Positive attitude
- Practicing effective communication
- Relaxation techniques
The bottom line: TLC Works.